Yes, the second edition has three "thru-routes". However, not being a "thru-route" style of backpacker, these are not traditional thru-routes. They are more "long tours" and require 1-2 resupplies. The three routes have a few common points, so you can actually "mix and match" sections.

For me it was amazingly difficult to develop thru-routes, because it just is not my style. I have never been one to set a daily milage goal and then just camp any old place at the end of the day. Being a photographer, I really want to camp at the most scenic spots. Getting good photographs for me is more important than making miles. Plus passing a good fishing lake and not stopping is agonizing! Nevertheless, I think the three routes are a compromise between standard thru-route style and more traditional backpacking.

All three thru-routes are quite difficult. They are definitley for those with solid off-trail experience. They are similar to Ropers "High Route" in the Sierra. In the Wind Rivers, you do not have as much daily elevation gains, but you have to deal with more severe weather and more complicated resupply logistics. It is interesting that Roper just does not deal with resupply issues - he simply describes his route and leaves it to you to figure out how you are going to resupply. But the devil IS in the details, and resupply is so much more difficult in the Wind Rivers, so I do address this.

By the way, I chose to take 33 days to do Ropers High Route, added a few side-trips and really slowed down on one section to do more fishing. Most people do the route in about 20 days.

Resupply on Ropers route is not a big issue because you are within a few hours of a trailhead at several points on his route. In the Wind Rivers, if you are up along the divide, there is no quick way out -and the few close trailheads are located at the end of long dirt roads far from towns. So you either have 20+mile walk-outs or shorter walk out to trailheads where you have to park a car if you are going to go to town.

The two current "High Routes" in the Winds (Skurka's and Dixon's)are no-resupply routes that only partially cover the range.