We all have had different experiences! I still have my old kelty (1968) as well as a newer kelty frame I got for $20 at an REI garage sale. I discarded the pack bag and put on new hip belt, sternum strap and shoulder straps (a lot lighter versions), and sewed my own bag (very light). The Kelty is now about 3.5 pounds, closer to 4 when I add the extension bar. I use the extension bar to latch the bear can on solidly (I actually put the extension bar on backwards for this use). My "home-made" Kelty works very well when I have to carry a lot. It definitely carries 40+ pounds more comfortably than my 2-3 pound internal packs. IT is the unlimited volume that I like. Especially long trip, with bear can, being the Sherpa for my family.

I grew up with external frames, mountaineering. We did a lot of actual technical stuff with these packs. I guess it is a matter of simply using what you have. I never gave it a thought that I could NOT do technical stuff.

Other uses for an external frame - lash two together and you have a litter to carry out an injured climber. Stand it up when setting up a tarp above timber (before days of trekking poles).

When I start with about 40 pounds, I always agonize over using the Kelty or an internal frame (comfortable to 35 pounds). Much of the time I just put up with the pain of the internal frame for about three days until the weight gets down to 35 pounds. So I can be comfortable the first few days or carry a pound more the last days. It is a toss up.

By the way, these heavy load trips are often 14-day trips without resupply. I rarely carry the Kelty for a trip of 8 days or less.