If you liked the old external frames, you'll love the new ones: Osprey's Exos and Atmos AG series are both good. Deuter also makes some; I forget what they're called.

You won't see the Exos or Atmos advertised as external frame (or as internal frame, for that matter), but they are; the perimeter frame and trampoline back are the giveaways. However, these are very high-tech internal frame packs - no more sewer pipes welded together, with the hip belt and boxy pack bag attached by some clevis pins. Now, you get a sleek packbag with all the bells and whistles, attached firmly to the the arrow-shaft high-strength aluminum frame, and a hipbelt that is integrated into the packbag and suspension.

They really are a breed apart from the old Kelty and Camp Trails pack frames we all used to have. As Carly Simon (Carole King?) used to sing, "THESE are the good old days!" Give them a try.

As far as rentals, I'm not much help. I think my local shop has these in their rental program; REI might, too. I don't know if any of the college programs have these to rent - they seem to lag the state of the (m)art by a good many years.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (03/13/17 02:53 PM)