I happened to order some insulated pants yesterday, and here today I see a thread about them.

My reasons included being able to wear them in camp before sleeping, stretching the temp range on my sleep system and for making overnight nature calls much more bearable. I'll keep the quilt, since it's pretty small/light. And I'd have a margin of error if things got colder or warmer than expected. I guess the gist is I'm also trying to shift to wearing more clothes than getting a warmer quilt and insulated pants is a step in that direction.

Most of the time, we are in RMNP at sites that don't allow fires, so evenings in camp just get cold. And it regularly gets down to the 30's in summer at the higher elevations, or colder.

But if a herd of angry raccoons started gnawing on my hiking partner (in his hammock, several feet away) wearing warm pants would mean I'd be less likely to just yell, "Hey, can you keep it down!" from my warm cocoon. I'd actually climb out of the bag and yell.

But seriously, folks... I was surprised to see how few choices were out there for packable down or synthetic-fill pants. I spent about a week scouring the internet for deals or lesser-known brands, but ended up nabbing a pair on sale.

Edited by DustinV (02/15/17 03:39 PM)