Trust me, we've all been there. BKpng is all about what's important to you. I enjoy food, so I will pack a little heavier in that area than others. I know a couple who enjoys a good wine, so they will cut back on other things so they can take a bottle or two. If you're cranky skimping on something then the trip is going to be miserable.

To accomplish my goals I cut back on my pack weight, when I started I had a 10 lb exterior frame back, cut it back to a 5 lb Gregory internal, now I have a 11-1/4 oz homemade pack. My tent went from 5 lb to 2 lb. I have to have a pillow (side sleeper) so I made a 5 oz pillow out of batting that fits me perfect.

Just keep at it, you will get there. One of my guru's told me to track what I pack and use, at the end of the season question everything that I never used. Took my pack weight from 30 lb down to 18 - with my food!