Thanks WD and Pika for the advice. I'm meeting my sister and we're both flying from other states so walk-up isn't an option. After spending too much time looking at maps and pictures this dreary weekend I really want to go to Clear Creek and/or Phantom Canyon. "The Box" above Phantom Ranch was one of my favorite spots last time and I'm wondering if Phantom Creek is like that. Of course both of those places are near the main corridor so I should add some more options. It's all beautiful, and varies so much is such short distances. I'll look at the ones that you mention and poke around some more. The Boucher Trail looks really interesting.

My sister teaches so we're pretty much stuck with shooting for June, the absolute worst period: their published statistics show the rejection rate at 50% in June 2015. We're flexible on exact dates, though, so I'll include the entire month as well as different trails.

I'm glad to hear that mailing is acceptable and has worked for you. There is conflicting information out there but the official website indicates that the request can arrive by mail as early as 10 days before February 1st so mailing near the end of January seems much better than faxing.

Thanks!