Your two criteria for moving to a heavier tent are durability and ability to hold up in severe weather.

My experience w.r.t. durability is that lightweight tents can hold up very well. To date I've hiked about 13,000 miles and the majority of that was with just two lightweight tents, both of which I still have and use. The lightweight zippers eventually need to have the zipper pulls replaced, and I just bought some spray-on stuff to hopefully rejuvenate the water resistance of my sil-nylon tent (a Tarptent Contrail), but both of them are still good tents. So --- I don't consider durability to be a major factor unless a person is particularly hard on gear.

In terms of severe weather, there are different mitigating strategies. For shorter trips and even not-so-short trips, the primary one is to be aware of weather forecasts and just get out of such weather --- hike to a trailhead and hitchhike out if necessary, and of course just don't start the trip if a hurricane or typhoon or sharknado are whatever are called for.
If out in such weather, understand the dynamics of the weather system and how terrain impacts your comfort and survival. I've hiked in places where thunderstorms are a regular afternoon feature, so planning the days hike includes trying to be off of high ground at such times. Etc. When wind is a factor, it's possible that in high wind conditions one might stop hiking earlier than normal if a particularly good wind sheltered spot is discovered; I've done this a time or two.

But I've never hiked when I thought really severe weather was likely. In Florida there was some pretty severe weather coming through shortly before I started a several hundred mile trip, but it passed and I just watched forecasts pretty closely once I started hiking.

I'm NOT saying that there isn't a place for a heavy, very weather resistant tent. I'm just saying that for me, personally, there isn't.