A couple of comments:

First of all, I tried taping many years ago and discovered that all it does is irritate the skin underneath, especially when I have to remove the tape because it's starting to bunch up and wrinkle (I tried several brands). No tape on the skin for me! You note what happened to your scar (which is necessarily more sensitive to irritation) when you tried taping it! Like others here, I recommend Body Glide.

Second, for years I was a big holdout on switching from boots to trail runners. No, no, I said, I gotta have that ankle support! Finally I decided to try, motivated by the fact that I could find no women's hiking boots that weren't Goretex lined. The Goretex lining turns my boots into a sauna, greatly increasing blisters. They also take days to dry if they get wet.

I found a pair of trail runners that fit perfectly and had plenty of antipronation support. I tried deliberately turning my ankles in them and couldn't! This was in contrast to many pair of boots, in which for years I had ankle-turning problems sometimes leading to painful falls. I never looked back and finally gave the boots away. Since then, I have had no more ankle problems and no more blisters!

I cite my experience with shoes vs. boots only to encourage you to give the shoes a try. Obviously the boots you have are not working for you (you need to fit your footwear to your feet, not your feet to the footwear!), so you'll have to buy more footwear anyway. If the shoes don't work for you after a trial, you can always use them for exercise walking or mowing the lawn!

Edited by OregonMouse (11/08/16 11:33 AM)