Go to the home page of this site for a 27-lb, 7 day gear list and compare yours to it. The brands don't matter; look at the weights and descriptions of the gear and use those as an approximate guideline. For instance, I have a lighter tent and pack (each weighing 28 oz.) than are on the list, but a much heavier (and far more comfortable) sleeping pad, which almost makes up the difference.

When I had to lighten up (due to age and a bum knee that was surgically reconstructed after I tore just about every ligament in it), I used this list as a model. I have since lightened up several pounds more, but at least half of that was due to some rather expensive purchases. The rest of the savings were things I found I could leave at home without endangering either my comfort or safety. Those are, of course, the cheapest method of lightening the pack!

The base weight (everything except food, fuel, and water) of 15.5 lbs on this list is a good beginning for a lightweight pack, and will keep your total pack weight under 30 lbs, even if you have to add a bear canister.

You might consider making up your own gear list using the model of the one on this site, and considering your gear as made up of systems rather than of individual items. A postage-type electronic scale is a good investment--the weight of some of your individual items may shock you (mine shocked me!)!

You might check on the weight of your stuff sacks. Remember that stuff sacks are not waterproof, thanks to their drawstring closure, so are of limited utility. I use a few dry bags (one for my extra insulating clothing and one for my sleeping bag), a few plastic freezer bags (to organize little stuff like toilet articles and first aid), and no stuff sacks except one to protect my tent from snags on brush while it's being carried (in an outside pocked of my pack).

Edited by OregonMouse (10/31/16 01:52 PM)