I took Maizy out with my brother on a short but strenuous overnight trip at the beginning of this month. She was far more energetic than either of us, and after a hard day of hiking was begging to play fetch. She quickly learned how to jump up over logs, even walking along several so she didn't get her feet wet. She asked to be carried through several very thick patches of brush, but otherwise walked the whole way. We're doing a longer trip the week before Thanksgiving, and I expect her to take it like a pro.

In the mean time, I've braided her a longer leash from some paracord I had. I've also decided to go to the hardware store and get the stuff to make her a light 10-15 foot cable. I took her 25-footer with us, and it was both too long and too heavy. I also have figured out that having a light carabiner on one of my pack straps somewhere (the ice pick loop was perfect) is great, especially when we stop and I drop pack. I can clip her leash to the pack and not worry about her running loose, while still getting my hands free.