Optics geek here, too. Built several telescopes and have binocs all the way from 9x25's to 10x70 Fujinons that I've hiked to mountain tops with. Like telescopes, the best binoculars are the ones that get used the most. #1 with me are some 9x25 Nikon Travelites! Light, excellent edge to edge sharpness. Mine are just about worn out from travel so I replaced them with...#2 Nikon Travelite 8-24x25 Zooms. Zoom binocs aren't typically recommended UNLESS you understand all the compromises that come with them, but again, I've taken them all over the world, and love the ability to zoom with such a tiny package. I keep coming back to them. Travelites aren't waterproof but I've never had an issue with water...I'm very protective of my optics.
If weight isn't an issue, #3 Nikon Monarch 10x36's have served me well and allow for some astro viewing at night. Great with glasses, pristine images, great birders. Finally #4, Orion 8x42's have been delightful. Heavy, I wouldn't hike with them, but for those of us who wear glasses, I've found them to be on par with my Nikons and Fujinons at a fraction of the price.

I tend to favor porro prism binocs. Lately, roof prism binocs are almost on par with the light transmission of poro's, and my favorite birders are roof prism offerings. All my astro binocs are porro prism. You might read up a bit on the two systems.

I also have a couple monoculars....a 10x40 and a 7x25. I use them in the car mostly, have traveled with them but keep coming back to small travel binocs. Two eyes vs. one kinda thing.

Edited by Dryer (10/22/16 10:17 PM)