I second the suggestion of trying trail shoes or trail runners. You said you prefer a sturdier/heavier boot, which I assume means a high top that covers your ankle; I've not seen the back-facing hooks on low-tops (which I now wear exclusively.)

Trail shoes tend to be more sturdily built; trail runners tend to be more tennis-shoe-like but with better soles. It's a spectrum, not an either-or, so shop around and give lower tops, with no backward-facing hooks, a try. (If you prefer waterproof-breathable boots, you can find WB in shoes, too.)

The sturdiest shoes I own are Vasque (I forget the model) trail shoes. They were my first step (pun intended) into shoes, from the Vasque Sundowner leather boots I wore exclusively for two decades. I found them just as supportive as the boots, and a lot cooler and more comfortable.

I also own three pairs of Merrell Moab - FST is a very light, running-shoe; Ventilator is a sturdy trail shoe with a boot-like feel, and GTX are waterproof-breathable, about halfway between the other two Moab models in sturdiness.

It might be worth an hour in an outdoor store to see if shoes, rather than boots, are the best solution for you.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (10/06/16 08:26 PM)