Maybe my Civil War reenactment experience can help a little. Especially for children (who outgrow their shoes a couple of times a year so that reproductions of 1860 footwear are beyond "too expensive"), it is suggested that the speed lacing hooks on normal boots be removed (since they weren't used in the 19th century) and replaced by regular eyelets, to make the boots look more like those of the Civil War period. Many reenacting parents do this. So it can be done; just look for more shoe repair outfits.

On the other hand, a properly supportive pair of trail running shoes with supportive insoles may work better if you get the right combination. I know they do for me!

Of course both the above are only possible short-term solutions.

I recommend that you look for an orthopedist or podiatrist who specializes in sports medicine to analyze your gait and prescribe a solution. Runners do this all the time! It may take a combination of physical therapy and orthotics and time, but that's better than broken legs or hips!