Pretty soon, if not already, your son is going to be just too heavy to carry along with a full backpack, and you'll need a second "porter." It will probably be 1 1/2 years or more before the boy can walk the full distance. Even more important, the youngster will need full-time supervision by more than one person, once he's capable of running off and disappearing every time your back is turned (he may be there already!). Been there, done that, big panic, fortunately others helped out and the 3-year-old was found! I'd be more concerned about that than by the possibility of something happening to you. Why can't your SO go along?

In the meantime, I strongly suggest a Personal Locator Beacon, a SPOT or a Delorme Inreach so that you can summon help if you need it. With the second two, you can send messages to reassure your SO. My PLB has so far kept my grown children off my back when this 80-year-old granny goes out alone, as I frequently do.

Lots of us have taken our babies and small children out in the wilderness with no problems, but the toddler/preschool age does require extra supervision! Hopefully you'll hear from Wandering_Daisy who has done a lot more of this than I have!

On the home page of this site is an excellent article on backpacking with babies and small children. On toddlers, the author says: "For most families, it works best to have one adult completely committed to the task of watching the kid, while the other one does camp chores."

Edited by OregonMouse (07/10/16 03:59 PM)