Sorry, I should have been more clear: my Vasques fit me better than my Merrells. I didn't intend to imply that Vasques are an inherently better fit for everyone. I fully agree that shoe fit is hugely individual.

I also agree that good socks are as important as a well-fitting shoe. I've used everything from 100% Ragg wool to 100% synthetic, and all the socks have worked well for me. The big factor here is also fit - you want the sock to "cling" (if that's the right word) to your foot; if it moves around and rubs your foot, you'll get blisters. Because Ragg wool wouldn't hold its shape well and cling to my foot, I always wore a pair of thin polypropylene liner socks under them. The liners clung to my feet, and took all the rubbing: no blisters. I've found that the higher amounts of acrylic and spandex I use now (I think my current socks are about 20% wool) cling to my foot without the need for liners.

Hiking stores (backpack shops, REI, Gander Mountain, etc.) should stock hiking socks year-around.