Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
I do not want to hijack this thread but is there something available for a phone which will at least give basic information. I am not a big smartphone user but I have a per minute Tracfone which has limited data available and will connect to cell phone towers for location. I have looked at a couple of apps like Google Map and Navmii which do not give very useful information and do not store routes or even tell me where I am in relation to nearby points. I am just looking for something to tell me where I am and how do I find a way out of here. All phones are supposed to have built in GPS but How do I use it short of purchasing a $600 phone and a $100 per month plan? My phone usage is under 30 minutes per month. Am I just dreaming or am I just too dumb to know how?

I've tried a load of phone based GPS's and by far my favorite and the only one I use today, is GaiaGPS. I am an iphone user, and the Gaia app is leaves nothing for me to desire. Phone goes in Airplane mode to conserve battery live and maps can be downloaded prior to departure, so no cell towers are required. The companion web-based program can be used to create routes and all data is sync'd between handheld and computer.