So it’s been a couple of years and a few hundred miles. I’m still hiking with these boots. In all fairness, I have two different pairs of boots for hiking. This pair of AF Boots and a no longer in production New Balance non-waterproof pair advertised as quick draining. I use my AF Boots for most hikes but prefer the NB for hikes that I anticipate will be in and out of water. As an example, about three months ago after a couple of hours in and out of water I spent a straight half an hour hiking in waist deep water.

So back to my AF Boots. These are as durable as they looked when I first got them. These are not as cushioned as some shoes and boots so might not be as good for long walks on pavement.

So I’ll address my original points:

“The boots look great, but what do I expect? “
As seen in the photos except for some discoloration from hiking in muck the boots show little wear.

“The fit is fine. Roomy toe box which I really like.â€
They fit even better now that they’re broken in.

“ About the only criticism is I had to just about tighten the laces all the way to get a proper fit.â€
Still a criticism.

“ I’m not a big frame guy, but if I ordered another pair I would request the lace holes be set a little further apart.â€
Which I will use to segue into the next part of my review. I ordered new boots with the lace holes cut back a little.

Part of my reasoning is that when I hike into double digit mileage I feel the need for more support and I’d really like that option to tighten them up a bit once in a while. I don’t want this to be a debate of shoes versus boots so I’ll just say that boots are what work best for me, especially when I get past 10 miles. I will be replacing the insole with a SOLE Signature EV insole again.

There have been some changes since my last purchase. They are using a new sole. It doesn’t appear any different in shape but the tread looks a little different. Not a big deal. I’ve tried them on but haven’t taken them for a hike yet. (Recovering from an inflamed ankle; it sucks getting old) Walking around the house I can see these will need some breaking in as the leather is a bit stiff. The same was true for my original boots.

I'll be reporting back in a few months after I've taken the new boots a few miles. The old boots will be backups or possibly used for yard work.