Quote:
you could find a postal scale doing both grams and ounces with precision up to a gram or .1 of oz, with upper limit of 35 lb and under $30. I know I have one, bought on amazon.

Hence my comment --- nice to be aware of all the nuances (features and reasons for same) before making a first purchase. My 5 pound scale served me well for many years, but when it came time that I really wanted to weigh something a bit heavier --- it was easier and (at least at the time likely) less expensive to just get a second scale.

It really is a matter of knowing what's important to you, and why. I didn't mention a 'tare' function earlier as I think pretty much all electronic scales have that ...

Something else that might not be obvious, IF you want to make sure your scale is pretty accurate, or at least have a formula to adjust the results, I found that getting a roll or (or just a lot of) shiny new quarters is a pretty good approach. I.e., the very precise weight of a new-from-the-mint quarter is easily findable online, and with a bunch of them weighed to the gram you can get establish a pretty accurate calibration multiplier.
For most uses this is overkill --- unless you're an obsessive and/or geek type --- but occasionally (having confidence in) a fair degree of precision can be helpful.