Quote:
"Yep, me too! The scale is also useful for postage (duh), portion control for those of us trying to cut body weight, gourmet cooking with European recipes (which use weight instead of volume."

The "portion control" thing is something I'm using mine for lately, and I want to add that it's helpful for both uses (gear weighing and food weighing) to have a scale that will show weight in both/either ounces and grams.

So I ultimately ended up with TWO such scales. One only goes to 5 pounds but offers grams as an alternate, whereas the other only does ounces, but has a 10 pound limit. For weighing entire subsytems of backpacking gear, the 5 pound limit can occasionally be annoying. For example, going on a week+ long trip with no resupply and you want to weigh your entire food bag or canister without taking it apart and weighing subsets.

Actually, I have to confess I have a third sort of scale, this hanging from an eye-bolt in the ceiling of my basement. Originally a spring scale, I got a pretty inexpensive but seems-to-be-good electronic "hang stuff from" type of scale. Nice to weigh the entire pack with everything in it that way. I got a new bike recently, and it was easy to rig up a little cord to weigh it that way too.