Quote:
My rule is to never wear outer clothing in my sleeping bag.

Here's a great example of how different people approach things differently.

Unless my clothes are fairly wet, I always wear my outer clothing --- just the same clothing that I hiked in --- in my sleeping bag at night. It's just one less thing. If it's cold enough I'll add a light puffy jacket, and likely a warm hat (I'm bald ...) but otherwise, same clothes.

I've washed my bags more often than once in ten years, but then I've used them quite a bit and haven't washed them THAT often. Maybe twice each? Maybe three times. I've owned these two bags (a 30F and a 20F bag) for quite a few years, and did send them both in to be restuffed (and in fact overstuffed), but I'm confident that this was just to losing down while using the bags, not to washing.

I guess bottom line is that if keeping your bag really clean is important to you, and/or if you just like the process of cleaning up and wearing clean(er) clothes in camp and during the night, the process that WD and OM use is a great one. But FWIW, you can certainly make it work getting in touch with your inner cowboy ("just throw down your bedroll and start sawing logs"). Or perhaps inner hobo is a better (olfactory) comparison.

Note that my process doesn't necessarily save a lot of weight carried, as I do have something to sleep in when my clothes are all wet. But not much --- for me it's typically a light t-shirt and a light pair of shorts, which double for me as 'town' clothes (i.e., clothing I wear in a trail town, resupply stop, when I'm washing my trail clothes).

For so many backpacking "process" things, there's more than one right approach.