First things first. I'm as newb as they get. So, I'm starting from scratch here. I was interested in someday being able to go to a national park and go on a solo backbacking trip that spanned over 5 to 7 days.

How long would it take for me to get to the point where I could manage this if I practiced on a smaller scale for a while?

In regards to survival skills, I'm a blank canvas. I know that I have a ton to learn before taking something like this on.

In regards to physical shape, I'm in decent shape. I am a runner. I get out and run 5 days a week. I'm slightly overweight, but I am in good cardio condition. I'm certainly not a couch potato. I can run 6 miles non-stop on my long run day. I know running isn't the same as backpacking, but my point is that I think the physical task of a week long backpacking trip would be less of a concern than the survival skills aspects.

Going solo is a must for this. It would be a bit of a "go out in the woods, get away from society for a while, and find myself" kind of trip. I'm sure that going solo is much more dangerous than doing something like this within a group, so am I being unrealistic? Is this a really bad idea?

I'm not really looking for a primer on backpacking in this post. I'm mostly just wondering if my vision is realistic and if it is, how much work is required to get there.

Also, the sun and I don't agree. So, I am envisioning a national park that is heavily shaded. I'm thinking what would be perfect for me would be an early fall trip when the sun is less harsh and the leaves have started to turn. Any suggestions for a national park that would fit the bill for this?

Thanks in advance.