Dirtbagging? I grew up kinda poor , so when I decided to go camping for the first time, I put a bunch of stuff in a torn laundry bag, threw it over my shoulder and headed off to a large tract of woods. My parents wouldn't pay the dues or buy uniforms for me to be a boy scout, so I made do. The next day, I got stopped by the police as I walked home on the side of a highway. They were sure I was a runaway, or a thief. I didn't know it until I got home, but I had gotten soot on my face from my campfire and looked as if I was engaging in some type of stealth activity. It took me awhile to convince the cops that I was innocent of wrongdoing. I had been trespassing, but I sorta prevaricated around that part. I did advance to an old Army pack that was given to me by a neighbor, but it wasn't much better than the laundry bag. My first external frame was a game changer. I have a number of friends that were in the military that would rather be water- boarded than backpack. A pleasant first experience might be a good thing. I was too young and stupid to have anything imprint. When I was in college, I was the co-advisor for a high school backpacking club in a wealthy community. Those kids had the latest and greatest. I envied them, but I imagine many of them still are on the trails. Nature has a gentler, more beautiful aspect when a pack isn't creating fiery ruts in your shoulders and hips.