Originally Posted By bluefish
Sounds like a concoction arrived at after sampling the products a little too heavily. Since the weight dry is virtually the same wet, why the heck would you bother?

From the how-to article:

"If you store your powdered alcohol in a sealed container with one of those (non-edible!) silica gel packets, some of the water will be selectively absorbed by the silica, and the powder will become more powdery."

Even Everclear has some water in it, so there could (in theory) be some weight savings if you removed water that way.

I'd think the containers needed to carry the powder could by lighter than those used for liquids too, so this could be handy for drinks like hot cocoa and other powdered drink mixes.

If there was a beer powder to mix with it you could save a lot of weight. Even a beer flavor concentrate could save a lot of weight. I don't know how you'd carbonate it, maybe one of those BB gun CO2 cartridges and a special keg like cup.

We have to be positive. It could happen. Backpackers are pretty innovative, and so are beer drinkers. I'm keeping the faith they can do it because programmers are generally lazy. If we can't make an app for that then it probably won't get done.

"You want to go where?"