As the title says Im new to the forum. I've been on a couple of weekend backpacking trips when I lived in (as the name implies) Texas. They were summer trips and on large acreage properties (2000 plus) owned by friends.

Now, however, I'm presented with a backpacking trip (in two weeks no less) in my new home out east. A friend who also recently relocated to the area is wanting to backpack overnight in the Fancy Gap, VA area. Long story short I've never camped on anything but the aforementioned private land so I'm wanting some advise regarding this possibility. In terms of gear I have a cold weather bag (Halo Recon 3), a decent pad (Thermarest Backpacker Plus) and a decent tent (Eureka Solitare) so unless I'm missing a curveball I think I should be set for a decent nights sleep. My main concern, to be honest, is what park/legal issues that I may encounter during my trip. I've looked at the area and it seems that year around camping is permitted with a permit. However, the number that is given for said permits does not function. Is this common for camping in the "offseason" or something I should concern myself with at all? Any advise is much appreciated. I know I know...newbs and their questions...

In addition I'm here to learn as much as I can. I'm relocating permanently to Asheville, NC and hope to make backpacking a regular part of my life. Thanks in advance for the advice and happy new year all!