The problem with phone GPS is that you will need the towers for it to work. I went to Campobello Island and thought I'd do some geocaching while I was there. I only had my phone with me, and guess what? No service on the island, except for a couple little spots on the coast. I have a topomap Canada app on my phone, as well as a couple geocache apps that use topo maps. None of them would work as they couldn't update the maps. I never tried to use it mapless (like the real old-school GPS units), but the next time I went to the island, I brought my GPS unit. I used to have an old Garmin eTrex Legend, but the display stopped working correctly after I dropped it. Now I have an eTrex Venture (I think that's the one) that I picked up real cheap. It works very well, although I wish I had of waited and gotten one with a microSD card slot. For maps, I have to download only the ones in the area that I'm going to be at as there is only so much memory on the unit.

My next one will probably be a Garmin as well, but it'll have a microSD card slot, plus the ability to store more points and tracks and routes. Since I do geocache, it's easy to eat up lots of points on cache placements.