I like to sleep cold and snuggled up.

No, seriously. I do minimal to no camping over a large chunk of summer because around here, the nighttime lows just don't get low enough for me to sleep comfortably.

Granted, actually strapping in tight and zipping up a mummy bag is how I found out that I'm actually claustrophobic. But I can sleep comfortably down to some pretty low temps (-15 F is the lowest I've been out in and it wasn't a problem) without zipping up, by tucking the side under me.

Other advantages:
No bugs! I love camping without a tent, but I'm now paranoid about ticks so I think my days of sleeping out on just a ground sheet (at least in this part of the country) are over.

You can build a shelter from snow and ice.

You can put your pack in a sled and pull it behind you. If you're mostly on pretty flat surfaces (like frozen lakes, as a not-so-random example), it's WAY easier than carrying a pack on your back. Low center of gravity FTW!

Also, there's the BA factor. A lot of people are convinced that winter camping is cold and miserable, they don't understand that with proper gear and preparation you shouldn't be cold. So when I tell them about winter camping, they're in awe of how "tough" I am.
I tell them, the coldest I've ever been was in my apartment in subtropical Australia. Why? Because I wasn't prepared to be cold in Australia.

Disadvantages: Requires heavier gear. If you pay for the lightest stuff you can get, I imagine you can get away with MUCH lighter weight than the monstrosities I've had to deal with... but still heavier than the same quality summer weight gear.
Maybe if you use a tent in summer and a tarp or snow shelter in winter?

Edited by mimstrel (05/13/15 01:26 PM)