Hi all,

I'm planning an extended trip in Europe, combining european style "backpacking" and mountain through hiking, and I'm looking for a backpack. I haven't done an extended trip before, but I've done plenty of day hikes, and I cycled across the US last summer, so I know I can handle living out of a bag (or 4 bags, as was the case with bike panniers).

I need to keep things as cheap as possible, and I noticed 2 appealing (price-wise, at least) packs on the REI outlet. They are the Jansport Katahdin 60 (http://www.rei.com/product/888899/jansport-katahdin-60l-pack-2014-closeout#tab-description) and the Alps Mountaineering Exploit 3900 (http://www.rei.com/product/884064/alps-mountaineering-exploit-3900-pack-2014-closeout).

I've never bought a pack before, so I was hoping to get some advice. Unfortunately, the closest REI to me is 2 and a half hrs, and I don't know of any other outdoors stores in the area. I know people tend to say that when buying a pack, it's best to wait until you have all your stuff and then bring it all to the store, try on a bunch of packs, and then try them on loaded before buying, but I don't really have that option as I'm in school now, and flying to Europe just a couple days after graduating college.

So with this in mind, any advice on these two packs or on other cheap packs that would hold up well to 2 months of continuous use would be greatly appreciated. The Jansport seemed to be decently reviewed, but I can't find anything at all about the Alps bag (bad sign?). I'll be doing 4-5 weeks walking from Geneva, Switzerland to Nice, France along the GR5 and then trying to live off the grid in the UK/Ireland for a couple weeks before flying home. The gear I have so far is a Kelty Salida 2 that I used on my bike trip last summer, and an ENO hammock (I would only take one of these--leaning towards the tent since I'll be above treeline some in the alps), a Kelty Cosmic Down 40, a cheap light stove and one of the egg-carton looking thermarest pads. I know it's not the best gear in the world, but it's what I'm working with smile

Thanks everyone!