Originally Posted By DTape
Got seeds started indoors. Peas in the ground as`are seed potatoes. Here's to garden 2015!

I'll raise a beer for that DTape!!

Our garden is coming along pretty good. I've been busting my butt for the past few days on in it. I didn't do much today, but I've been digging the dirt out from in between my rows and building new beds with it. I'm mixing it with compost from my burros, leaves, rotted hay and straw, and adding a little lime, epson salts, and chicken manure.

I've been laying a thick layer of straw/leaves in between the rows to help keep moisture in and weeds out since I dug the trenches when I made this garden. The worms work that into the pure clay in the bottom of the trenches and turn it into very rich black soil. I'm amazed at how much I've dug out of those first two rows, and then next two have even more because I've let them sit a couple more years without digging them out.

I think this is the second time I've done this, but the first time I just piled the dirt on top of the rows. They've grown too big for that again. I have to either shaven them down or wall up the sides. I've been planning on walling up the sides since I made the garden, so I'll probably start that this year with one or two of the rows.

Here's a photo of the dirt being dug from the second trench. You can sort of get an idea how deep below the normal ground level the trenches are (about 6"-8"), and how high the raised beds are here (9"-12"). I've got three more trenches to dig out :

Here's the new beds I'm putting in with the dirt I got from digging them out. I'm using scrounged cinderblock to wall them up. The far right bed one has a thick layer of straw mulch on it. I'll plant watermelons there. With the good rich dirt scraped off down to the clay and the straw piled up to fill the trench, I won't have any weeds growing in between my rows there this year. The few weeds left on the sides of the raised bed have flowers blooming on them that the bees are gathering pollen from, so I'll leave them for a bit yet:

The seedlings are sprouting!

And so is the Asparagus!!

And this is what it looked like just before I came in tonight:

And last, but not least, is a link to the website I'm building for my daughter's business. I'm working on filling in the "Lorem ipsums" in the late evenings and early mornings. It's not done yet but it's close enough to show to friends:

Victory Garden Works

"You want to go where?"