You do not necessarily have to hire the Indian guide to get into Dry Creek. If you have a high clearance 4wd you can to in via Bob Lakes. There is a trail, not shown on the map, that drops from Little Bob Lake to Dry Creek. I do not know exactly where it is, but it is a reportedly good trail. The road to the "wilderness" boundary is not good - rutty and tight and narrow. The locals use 4-wheelers to get to the trailhead. You would have to have a permit that covered all days parked at the trailhead. You do not need a guide for the Bob Lakes trailhead.

I have not fished Thumb Lake but last year I was up there hiking and saw several guys fishing.

Another place that is easier to get to than Dry Creek is Deep Creek and Ice Lakes. Go in from the Roaring Fork trailhead at Worthen Meadows. There is a good pack trail that drops to Sheep Bridge (this trail is also not shown on USGS maps). The fishing is good (particularly Middle Deep Creek Lake) but I am not sure if there are many lakes with golden. There used to be golden in the upper lakes of Atlantic Canyon.

If you do not mind a long entry, you can get to Dry Creek in two long days from Torrey Creek trailhead out of Dubois. I recall it is about 25 miles. This is an all-public access with no Reservation permit needed.