One of the things I find sort of funny in conversations and opinions on campfires is the "I hate the smell of smoke" line.

There are so many kinds of wood, and variables in how damp, dry, and aged it is that make up the scent of burning wood that this statement is akin to saying "I hate the smell of flowers".

I actually choose wood based on the scent it will give off for my campfires, and especially when I'm cooking with it. Smoking meats and other foods is an art here in the Ozarks and no one that knows a thing about it would, for example, ever choose Cedar to smoke anything they'd be eating, but lots of people love the smell of it and Ozark Cedar is shipped all over the world because of the aroma it gives off. I love the scent of Cedar, but I never burn it in a campfire, though I will use it on occasion to start one because it works great for that.

Red Oak smells like old socks when it burns, and aged White Oak has a wonderful, sweet spicy aroma that makes it a great choice for smoking meats and campfires. Mimosa is just awful and gets stuck in your throat, I try not to burn any of that.

Old, blackened and moss covered White Oak and/or Hickory is what I use for cooking when backpacking or camping. It's what I use for smoking our Thanksgiving Turkeys and Hams.

Lucky for me, my wife loves the smell of smoke. I get extra kisses when I come home smelling of it blush

"You want to go where?"