I'm really careful about checking the campsite before I leave, but I did once leave an important--and expensive--item behind. I had just had one of my expensive bouts of dental work done, and part of that was a partial denture. I was on my first backpacking trip after getting it. The last morning, I laid the denture on top of a stump while I washed the rest of my teeth. Being in a big hurry (wanting to get back to my air-conditioned car at the trailhead before the temp got into the upper 90s), I cut things short and, guess what--left the denture on the stump! I didn't realize this until I was almost back to the trailhead, and, despite the $$$ involved, I wasn't about to hike back 6 miles and 2,500 feet elevation gain in 90-degree temperatures. (It got up to 99*F that afternoon.)

Fortunately, through the then-new portlandhikers.com forum (now oregonhikers.org), I found someone who was going there a few days later. He found the denture where I'd left it and we arranged to meet after he returned from his trip. That's the best argument for a local hiking network that I can think of!

My dentist thought this was really funny and no doubt told all his patients. blush

A couple years later, two crowns broke off that were supporting the partial denture, so I had to get another one. I really wish I'd had everything pulled to start with and gone to complete dentures--the amount of money I've spent on restorative dentistry, only to have another crown break off within a few years, is horrendous. And I do take good care of my teeth!