I'm sort of an obsessive sewer of little and medium size bags. I make them from left-over scraps of silnylon and no-see-um netting. I make the silnylon bags in several colors (color coding) and use a micro-cord-lock on the drawstrings of all of the bags.

I keep my small cooking stuff in one silnylon (water-resistant) bag, my FAK in another, my bug and sun stuff in another and so on. I then use the mesh bags to coral the smaller bags. The mesh is light, transparent and amazingly sturdy. I can see the contents in each mesh bag so there is no groping for an item. I cary one mesh bag in the pack for items used in camp and another in an outside pack pocket for stuff needed during the day. So, all of the little stuff is contained in one of two mesh bags. And, in fact, I don't really carry that much "little stuff".

I am also obsessive about keeping things put in their assigned place while on a trip. This saves me the frustration involved in looking for small stuff and also the annoyance of loosing small items because they are scattered around camp. Total weight of the bags is a bit over two ounces.

All of the other gear has an assigned place in my pack. On longer trips, as food is consumed, the placement of various gear items in my pack will change. I suspect that this approach sounds a bit Teutonic to a lot of folks but it works for me.