I'm a big fan of "Next week I've got to get organized," but after 79 years, next week has not yet arrived. laugh

I do have a checklist (it's the spreadsheet I set up years ago to keep track of the weight of individual items in my pack) that I religiously use when packing up at home before the trip. Any time I've taken a shortcut and not checked everything off, something important gets left behind. I more or less by instinct shove the stuff into my pack in approximately the same order every morning. Of course, as Aimless mentions, in a single compartment pack, things tend to migrate a bit. On the other hand, the only things I might need to get at during the day that aren't in an outside pocket are my insulating clothing (in a dry bag) and first aid. Those are at the top of my pack's main compartment. Anything else I might need during the day is in the pack's outside pockets (full-length on each side and on the front of the pack) or the added-on hip belt pocket.

I do try to keep all my stuff together in the tent. I get out what I need for the evening and toss the rest (mostly odds and ends) back into the pack. In that regard, I'm still more organized than my going-on-15-year-old grandson, who normally spreads his entire pack contents all over the tent floor and has to be reminded to make room for me!

I try to keep stuff sacks/plastic bags to as few as possible, j to keep the weight down.

In other words, I manage to be sort of organized without worrying too much about it. Since one of the reasons I backpack is to reduce/eliminate stress, that's important to me. Your Mileage, of course, May Vary.