Originally Posted By billstephenson
I used a piece of bubble foil insulation under my sleeping bag when I slept in my hammock. It will slide around though. I never tried making a way to attach it so it wouldn't, but I don't think that'd be hard. It made a huge difference. As soon as I slid off of it I got cold.

You might want to try that as a floor for your tarp. Now I use a piece that's 40"x80" for the floor of my tent. I fold it in half both ways then roll it up. It rolls up into a 20"x5" roll and weighs about 17 ounces. (0.771 oz./ft²). A big tarp made out of SOL blankets taped together will weight less than a pound too, so that's a pretty sweet setup and both of those items are dual purpose. The floor can be folded and used as a sitting pad, or a ground cloth to lay yourself or your gear out on, and the tarp is already a big emergency blanket and giant signal mirror, so that's a pretty cool set up as far as I'm concerned.

Remember I said I was using an emergency blanket as a ground sheet the first night? Well, I actually had that slung under my hammock the second night. I have it bound with loops of elastic on both ends, and I just feed the hammock suspension through them. This serves two purposes. First, it blocks wind blowing under me, and second, it holds my sleeping pad, similar to the way a double layer hammock works. I had traded my air mattress for the CCF pad Stephen was carrying the second night (they're both mine). I also had my car window shade (pretty much the same thing as bubble foil) on top of the CCF pad. I really think that would have been warm enough, but I didn't have the emergency blanket bound up tight enough, and there was a lot of air gaps.

And, yes, the window shade was super handy for sitting on and holding gear I wanted to keep clean.