Lightweight philosophy.
Anything that helps make trekking a more safe and enjoyable experience should be considered. Weight is not enjoyable, ergo, reducing it is preferable. Striking a balance between safety, comfort, and weight seems to be a good goal.
For me, when it comes to gear, this means considering the safety issues of a particular item, the function(s), reliability, the need vs desire for it and it's weight. I carry things that are not needed but I find enjoyable to have. I try to find the lightest functional version of these things but consider them in spite of the weight. For example; A monocular is not needed but I like having it. I carried binoculars for years. Then, to reduce weight found a 10x21 monocular that weighs about 2oz. However I eventually upgraded to an almost 3.5 oz 12x25 one because it is more functional. An acceptable weight gain, for me. If I carry an item, I want it to be something that gets its job done well for sure if not have multiple functions.
One can look at it as; "What can I get rid of to reduce weight?" or "What can I take and still be at an acceptable weight?" I guess I tend towards the later. I have found my optimal base weight at 20 lbs or less and I try to stay within it while maximizing enjoyment.

Tread lightly.
Raisedbyraccoons.blogspot.com