Originally Posted By CamperMom
Please let us know how your home freeze drying works.

CamperMom

The experiment is on-going, but here's what's happened so far. The simplest instructions say to just leave the food, cut into small pieces and spread out, exposed in an otherwise empty freezer for a week. After a week, check it, and if it's not ready, give it another week. I wanted to do this without buying or building anything extra, so I decided to go this route and picked out some frozen peas to try. I divided them evenly between two paper plates and put them in the freezer at work, since it wasn't being used. After a week, they still had a long way to go. I tested them at about two weeks and again after three. After that, I kinda forgot about them. I'm not sure how much time passed, but I checked them again, probably about two weeks ago. I wanted to give them a little extra time to be completely sure, and I also need a bag to repackage them into so they don't absorb moisture from the air, so they're still in the freezer for now. Once I get them out and packaged up, I'll report again on how they turned out. So far, I'm thinking, yes, it does technically work, but it takes too long and uses too much freezer space to be practical.