When I was single I hiked solo a lot. Didn't worry a second about bugs, bears, snakes, any of the other calamities the guys at work teased me about. Worried about people. It's unnerving bumping into guys who feel the need to make comments like,"What's a young girl like you doing out here all alone?" I had a hard time sleeping at night in those cases. But in the end nothing ever happened.

Now I'm 48 yrs old and married, no more solo backpacking. Looking back, despite the sleepless nights, after all these years the only true near miss I've encountered was bumping into an out of control pit bull on the trail. Zero violent incidents.

In my "real" life (ie city life) in my younger days, I've had a car break in, a stolen purse, and a home burglary (thank goodness I wasn't home when it happened). Even once had a guy jump into my car and demand to be taken somewhere when I was stopped waiting to make a turn. Drove with doors locked ever since.

I agree with Balzaccom. Although I've never been a victim of violent crime, I think our odds are better in the wild.