Good question. One time I actually stopped at the FS office on my way home was after discovering a hobo camp in Desolation, well off trail. It had probably been abandoned but there was gear strewn about, canned food shoved into a rock niche and who knows what else. I gave them GPS coordinates and a couple months later received a phone call at home thanking me for the info and saying they'd hauled it all out.

Another time I told the FS I was none too pleased at cattle grazing along lakes in Emigrant signed "No camping, meadow restoration." Nothing ticks me off more than somebody making money by breaking the rules. Okay, poaching probably does.

I guess we probably "busted" tha CA Air National Guard in August because we watched somebody hot-rod a C130 Hercules up through a canyon in NE Yosemite--it crossed below us. Happened to mention it to a backcountry ranger later that day and he radioed it in, none too pleased.

Suppose my response is generally be formed by the timing, and other than Yosemite I seldom see backcountry rangers or FS employees.