Although I don't like and don't build fires (too much like work - and I enjoy letting night fall around me), I agree that there are times when it sort-of doesn't matter.

A fire makes an impact. It burns (sterilizes) the top layer of soil. It sends smoke into your eyes (I tend to be a human left-handed smoke shifter: if you want the smoke to blow the other way, send me to stand on the other side of the fire.)

But, here in the heavily-traveled east, you'd be right: it doesn't really add to the impact in an established camping area. That area has already been trampled bare and hard, and fires rings are established. The area has been sacrificed to hopefully preserve other areas by being an "inviting" campsite to less discriminating forest travelers. So, unless it's too dry or the rangers have determined that it's a No Fires period, light up - just keep it small.

But, if you want to camp in that truly secluded spot, or up on that inviting ridge or open cliff face, save the fire for another day. Never build a new fire ring - if you absolutely can't camp without a fire, then restrict yourself to the established sites, and leave those unharmed gems to the rest of us.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (09/30/14 08:59 PM)