Please let us know how your home freeze drying works.

Meanwhile, I've had pretty good luck with dehydrated veggies in such items as pasta salad, even cold mashed potatoes. (Think of them as potato salad with a different texture.) Shredded cabbage, carrots, celery, parsley, zucchini, cukes, etc., all worked well for me. Peas I run through the blender a bit to chop so they can rehydrate more easily. Consider other other options in addition to pasta and potatoes, even tuna/chicken salad with veggies on crackers. Cucumber or zucchini "chips" with sun or home dried tomatoes, string cheese, and pepperoni make a decent no-cook trail lunch, maybe with some crackers for filler carbs. I also make "walking salads" which basically are versions of slaw, carrot, or Waldorf salads w/o mayo (sub applesauce for binder), and dehydrated into patties or rolls. Cook some potatoes, onion, and celery, maybe a little corn, in the liquid from a can of salmon, blend until mostly smooth, then dehydrate. Add the salmon to the blender and dehydrate all together or separately, adding the salmon to your packaged soup bundles. Add hot or cold water as your mood and the weather dictates. (Think vichyssoise.) Bacon bits, green onion, chives, dried leek, parsley, lots of things can be added as your mood and available items dictate. I was going to have salmon chowder for supper one cold, soggy hike, but came upon a shelter mid-day, so stopped to boil water and had salmon chowder while I warmed up and dried out. It was a memorable experience. Another particularly hot day, I decided my salmon chowder needed to be cold salmon potato salad. It could just as easily have been "salmon vichyssoise," had I been in the mood for spooning up soup.

CamperMom