I know freeze drying is technically a type of dehydrating, but for the rest of this post, I'm going to use the term "dehydrating" exclusively for the warm air method...

I've got a dehydrator, which I've been using to make all kinds of stuff, and I tested the food out on my car camping trip last weekend. It was great, but not exactly gourmet. That's fine, I'm just trying to keep things easy. There're just some things that do better freeze-dried than dehydrated. I know some campers had trouble with peas getting rock hard, for example, yet peas is one of the ingredients in "just veggies". After reading the description carefully, I saw that the peas and corn are freeze-dried instead of dehydrated like the other ingredients. My guess is this is precisely to prevent the hard texture. Traditionally, freeze-drying is a very expensive process requiring specialized equipment, but I've seen there're instructions online for doing it with nothing more than a freezer and stuff you'd have in your kitchen anyway; it just takes a while. Now I'm eager to try it out.