Is Kathmandu the brand? I have two TNF down jackets-a Nuptse and a Baltoro (now called the Himalayan, it's in my picture). I rarely see any feathers poking out of either one. I have a lightweight Eddie Bauer down vest and have never seen any feathers sticking out of it. I also have two down bags, and same thing, a rare feather now and then, but nothing serious. I believe the reason is fairly simple - down is not feathers. Down does not have the long quills that will poke through the material or seams like feathers do. Higher end jackets and bags may have some feathers, but not nearly the amount of cheaper products. Really high end gear probably has no feathers at all. If the jacket is starting to come apart already, take it back and look for another brand.

BTW, I bought my Nuptse at a TNF outlet store, the Baltoro on eBay, the vest from another website's buy/sell forum and one of my bags from Craigslist, all for far less than retail (about 50% or less). I also picked up a brand new Marmot ski parka for 20% of retail in a second hand shop selling wardrobe from films and tv shows. My point is that if you look around, know what you are looking at and are patient, you can find quality clothes and gear without spending a fortune.

Edited by TomD (06/14/14 02:34 AM)