I don't necessarily think some of these items you all have carried are "boneheaded." Some are just classic beginner's gear or fit into the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" category. I remember as a Boy Scout carrying a surplus shelter half (one half of a heavy cotton pup tent that buttoned together with another half) and three piece wooden tent poles. I also had a surplus mess kit, canteen, web belt and folding shovel/trenching tool.

However, a couple of things I bought many years later sort of fit into this category- a signal flare rescue kit and a combo lightweight (relatively) axe, hammer, saw gadget I took bike touring. Weight wasn't that big an issue on my bike, but neither one of these was all that useful.

Some things I have carried were not bad products, just not a good choice for my intended use. My XGK is a great stove, but not really intended for hiking; it's more of a mountaineering stove. My Cat's Meow was a good bag when new (it's lost a lot of loft over the years), but not really a bag for the mountains of NZ; just not warm enough.

As far as big knives go, I remember buying one of those huge Scubapro Bowie knives with the fake ivory handle when I started diving. After soon realizing how ridiculous it was, I wound up with one about 1/4 its size that strapped onto my arm and was really practical. I still have it.

Edited by TomD (05/16/14 02:38 AM)