I only fly fish when I backpack, because the total gear is lighter than spin fishing. I take one film can full of small flies-most are mosquito look-alikes. I have found that matching the hatch is not that important when you fish remote lakes (Wyoming and the Sierra). I put on one fly, use it until it breaks or a fish runs off with it, then put on a new one. I also reduce weight by taking a very sharp light paring knife - the blade does not last much more than a week, but then I just throw out the knife. I do not use a net - only a 2-foot stringer. I also cut off most of the fly line on a super light reel- only have as much as I can cast. I have caught 16 inch trout with this set up. I am not a trophy fisherman- just want to eat fish. If I loose the big one, so be it. My fly rod breaks down into 3 pieces. I wrap it in a split foam pipe insulation length that I buy at Lowes (plumbing supplies). I hold it together with rubber bands. It fits nicely on the side outside pocket and does not stick up much. For me catching fish is mostly a matter of being the right place at the right time, not the equipment.