Hi everyone! First, just a little introduction. I am 25 and have been backpacking almost annually in the eastern Sierras since I was about 12 or so. Recently I have become even more interested in backpacking and hope to be out there every other week this season. I have always gone with my dad, but plan on doing several solo trips this summer as well. The vast majority of my backpacking is three season, in the eastern Sierras, so advice should be given with that in mind.

I am going to be placing a few orders for some new gear in the next week and just want to get some opinions/advice before I do. I mainly need a light sleep and shelter system. I have always used a tent in the past, but plan on transitioning to a cuben fiber tarp system this season.

My sleeping bag will be a 10 degree Zpacks bag. This may seem overkill, but I am about 6'3", 150 lb. so I have very little natural insulation and am very susceptible to cold.

For a shelter, I am looking at the MLD super tarp made of CF. I cannot decide on what size to get; 8.5x8.5 or 8.5x10? I will mostly be using this shelter solo, but it would be nice if two would fit on rare occasions (a tight fit would be OK). I am leaning towards a flat tarp rather than a catenary just for versatility. How are square and rectangle tarps comparable in terms of versatility of pitching positions? I have tried to research, but am comping up a bit short.

I am also planning on getting a super light bivy from MLD with the full mesh face. I am getting it to protect against mosquitoes early in the season and to further protect my sleeping bag in the event of a bad storm. With a silnylon bottom, is there need for a ground cloth of any sort? I would gladly carry one to protect my gear, but would like to minimize my pack weight.

I think this would be a pretty stellar solo sleep system for three season backpacking in the Sierras. I would love to hear your opinions. I will be doing all sorts of trips this summer, i.e. setting up a base camp and day hiking, longer loop trips, maybe even a JMT through hike if I can get enough time off work.

Also, I would love to read some articles just about tarp backpacking in general, but am not finding too much. Any recommendations on good, general reading would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Alexk3954 (03/31/14 10:15 PM)