So...I am totally sure that many others have asked this but I'm going to ask it anyway. What tent should I get?

Background/circumstances:

I'm going on a wandering Greyhound trip with my service dog. I will probably end up camping here and there. Which is awesome. But since I've never really backpacked before I have no idea what to get. (I know this isn't a real hardcore backpacking trip but it's like one...only with a big bus involved.)

My dog is small. (13 lbs small) so getting him into a tiny tent should be easy enough. He doesn't mind snuggling. I also want to be able to bring my backpack in with me and a sleeping bag of course.

I have no idea what types of weather I will encounter. I plan to go everywhere form Arizona to Main and stuff. I'll probably be gone for over a year so I'll be possibly be camping in whatever weather. Maybe? I shall see. So I want something pretty convertible. I also eventually will settle near the Oregon coast and I want to be able to use the tent to camp around there(aka one that is super rain resistant).

It's just me and the dog...no other people but maybe a 2 person tent wouldn't be such a bad idea? Just in case I end up traveling with someone. I plan to bounce around between hostels and I've heard one tends to pick up travel companions.

So, I want to find something as light as possible. Also, I want to find something good quality but not terribly expensive. Although, as much as I wish to save money I would rather not have my shelter collapse around my ears so spending a little extra money is better than having that happen.

Also, is there such a thing as a one or two person tent that has a built in sleeping pad or something? That would be spiffy.

Ok, sorry for the dumb question but help would be awesome. smile

Edited by writergirl12 (03/19/14 03:05 AM)