Food is very individual. I just use dry food I can find in the grocery store (plus some freeze dried food that I find at Trader Joes or Whole Foods. A 4-day trip is really quite short. You could even go "no-cook".

I quit using trail bars (too much sugar and too bulky) -I just make my own trail mix - nuts, dried fruit, soy nuts. I take one pre-wrapped cheese stick per day for trail food and use about 1 oz. of regular cheese for cooking per day. I also take 2-4 ounces of olive oil and just put it in dinner to add calories. I like the dry Lipton "Side" dishes (I think they no longer are Lipton but some other name) and add seeds, cheese, and a few slices of summer sausage.

Rather than re-package freeze dried meals, just poke a pin hole and squeeze out the air and then put tape over the hole. This reduces the volume - put the pin prick in the top of the bag so you can still use the bag as a bowl if that is what is intended.

If you are taking more than 2 pounds per day, you probably have the wrong kind of food. With all freeze dried food you can go as low as 1 pound per day but with considerable bulk. Read labels! You would be surprised at how few calories constitute a "serving" for most freeze dried meals.

And do not forget the small pleasures. I treat myself the end of each day with a square of 80% dark chocolate! I also use high quality instant coffee. As much as I love coffee I am not willing to bother with making it from grounds.

Be aware that sweet drink powders can really add weight and have little nutritional value. I drink water, coffee and tea and get calories from real food. I also think candy bars are bad - they spike your blood sugar and then drop it fast leaving you feeling bonked and hungry.