Originally Posted By rockchucker22
I love how the guy has a fire going on his tile in his house! Not the sharpest knife.

Yeah, my first thought on that was, "he's a renter".

Quote:
The Sierra version is forget the fire, sit and chew on a granola bar as the alpenglow flames your favorite peaks.

LOL. That's true, and I admire that because it does take some self control and exhibits a respect for the nature of the local as opposed to the nature of the human in it.

That stove will certainly work fine, but it's a pretty lazy design. The edges on those flaps are most certainly close to knife sharp. Bending them out like that requires you bend them back for storage, or risk cutting up whatever gets near them, and after a few bends they're going to start to break off. When they do, the stove will work just as well and be easier to pack, and be a little less prone to slice you up while handling it.

I've been cooking a lot with twig fires lately, it saves fuel for my SuperCat stove. I thought a lot about wood stove designs, particularly gasifiers, but I always come back to what phat points out, 3 rocks work just as well.

I'm finally at the point where I've realized a stove isn't essential here, it's a more of a toy, kind of like a GPS.

"You want to go where?"