I have used a Garcia (the size fits the best in my pack - actually can put it horizontal) but it has small volume and high weight; BearVault (large one) and really hate this can because the lid is hard for me to work - I actually got it stuck two times and had to have help getting it undone; Ursack - love it but not legal for all the JMT; and Bearikade Weekender. If a hard sided can is required the Bearikade beats all. I can get 9days food inside - 10 if I am really careful with what I take. The lid is easy to work. It weighs the least. Only gripe is that I cannot get it horizontal in my pack.

I have used a bear can for a washing machine. I tried to bake biscuits inside my BearVault. It did not work quite - they puffed up but were still doughy.

As much as I curse the weight of the bear can, they sure are convenient. - One trick in packing them - put last 1-2 days food in the bottom, cut out a circular piece of wax paper and label, then stack food upward. Put all items you use all the time on top (coffee, spices, etc). That way you never have to dig through the can because if exactly packed to fit 10 days food, once you stir it around you will never get it all back inside!

If I were to have to pay $90-100 to rent a Bearikade, I would buy one. You can always put it up for sale when done. It takes years to actually wear one out (and that is just wearing out the lid mechanisms). You should be able to get 60% of the cost or more selling a used Bearikade. Sell it in the parking lot at Whitney Portal - I bet someone would buy it!