Originally Posted By wandering_daisy

Nobody is a real backpacker until they have jumped into an icy lake for a bath.

Yeah, that for sure qualifies you too. I'm not near as brave as you when it comes to that. I've done it, but only after getting pretty crusty and hearing of plans being made against me. Some people just won't listen to the protective crust theory and it's better to jump in than get tossed by an angry mob, so I've done it.

I really do try to take a swim in a creek here before Spring each year too. It's said this will protect you from getting sick all year. I've done it the past few years and have not got sick so I'm going to stick with it.

I think sleeping outside on the ground qualifies you too. I forgot how nice that is during the years I was always wanting a better backpacking tent. When I made my Baker's tent I realize how nice it is to have it wide open, and remembered when I just used a sleeping bag on the ground. I think I may leave the tent at home a few times this season.

None of this is to say you don't qualify if you've never done those things. (Well, Gershon's might blush ) .

For me, personally, it's being off trail, hiking away from where others tend to go, and camping out wherever I want. That's when I feel like a real backpacker.

"You want to go where?"